Sunday, September 16, 2012

An Introduction

This is where I review, reflect, riff, and write.  Some of what goes here flows out of or into my books and articles, my classes, and my recordings.  Some of it doesn't.

I teach music at NYU and the University of Florida.  I study the ways that ideology and music come together in structural form, social spaces, physical landscape, and political history.  As of this initial entry, I've written one book (Assimilate: A Critical History of Industrial Music, forthcoming with Oxford University Press), and I've got a second one in the works for Continuum's 33 1/3 series.  

My doctorate is in music composition and theory, and I've written about a lot of 20th-century art music, but as an act of public musicology, critique, and creativity, this blog will mostly grapple with various inflections of pop.  

So let's get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment